Wednesday, September 7, 2011

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

I’m doing three conventions in four weeks.  I’m already feeling the
post-convention aches and pains.  Still, after a summer of pretty
much staying in my Medina home, I have an overwhelming urge to hit
the road and connect with my fellow comic-book fans and industry
professionals.  Alert the media and the authorities in Detroit, New
York City, and Columbus.

THE DETROIT FANFARE is the first stop on my three-convention tour.
It takes place September 24 and 25 at Cobo Hall.  You can get the
pertinent information on the show and its great line-up of guests
by going here

Two weeks later, I’ll be at THE NEW YORK COMIC-CON, October 13-16,
at the Javitz Center.  For info on this event, go here.:

The final stop on the tour - unless I add some more conventions for
later in the year - is one week later.  I’ll be a guest at WIZARD
WORLD MID-OHIO COMIC CON on October 22-23 at the Greater Columbus
Convention Center.  The scoop on that show, always my favorite of
the year, can be found here.

At this time, I am not scheduled to appear on any panels at any of
these three conventions.  But that doesn’t mean I won’t be easy to
find during the events.

At the Detroit FanFare, I’ll have an artists alley table from where
I’ll be signing things I’ve written, selling first edition copies
of 1000 Comic Books You Must Read, and also selling hardcovers and
trade paperbacks from my recent garage sale.

For the most part, I will only sign books and comics I’ve written.
I will not sign any Black Lightning comics I did not write...with
one exception.  If you want me to sign individual issues of Black
Lightning Year One
or the trade paperback of the series, I’ll do so
for $50 a signature.  I have not read this series, I do not endorse
it in any way, shape, or form, and I think Dan DiDio was an idiot
for telling his editors I couldn’t be hired to write it.  It is a
thing unclean to me.  But I’m willing to get my hands dirty for a
hefty price.  See how much fun I am at parties?

Copies of 1000 Comic Books You Must Read will be $20 each while the
other hardcovers will be $5 each and the trade paperbacks at a mere
$2 each. All proceeds from these sales will help support me in the
manner to which I have become accustomed, i.e., not being dragged
away to debtors prison.

At the New York Comic-Con, I won’t have a table, but I will likely
be signing at the Ardeen Entertainment/Atlas Comics booth for a few
hours each day of the show.  I assume there will be copies of The
Grim Ghost
and other fine Ardeen/Atlas publications for sale at the
booth.  But, within reason, if you bring me something I’ve written,
I’ll sign it while beseeching you to buy The Grim Ghost and those
other fine Ardeen/Atlas publications.

At Wizard World Mid-Ohio Comic Con, I’ll also have an artist alley
table and will be selling pretty much the same kind of stuff that
I’ll be selling in Detroit.  There might also be Halloween candy.
It’s happened at past Mid-Ohio conventions.

Besides signing and selling, there’s something else I’d like to do
at all three of these events.  I’d like to meet with publishers and
editors who would like to discuss hiring me to work on projects for
them...and I’d also like to meet artists who’d like to work with me
on projects. If you’d like to set up a meeting prior to any of the
conventions, e-mail me here.

This isn’t a blanket “I’m desperate for work” notice.  My interest
is in writing things that appeal to me and which I can write to my
own high standards.  Good paying work will take precedence over
lesser paying work, just as upfront money or money on completion of
the work will take precedence over back-end deals.  But I will come
to these discussions with an open mind and with the hope I can do
something extraordinary.  Talk to me.

One last note.

If you’re a convention promoter who would like me to appear at your
event, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.  Depending on where
your convention is, I generally ask for hotel and travel expenses,
as well as reasonable table space.  On my end, I always promote my
convention appearances in all the venues available to me.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff. 

© 2011 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment