Thursday, December 22, 2011

THEY SAY IT’S MY BIRTHDAY

I’m 60 years old today.  Though I often jest about my age, the fact
is that I don’t feel 60.  I think I do most things now better than
I ever did them before.  There are probably things I do worse than
I did before, but, fortunately, I no longer have enough brain cells
left to remember them. 

RIM SHOT!

As are people of any age, I’m looking at a coming year filled with
uncertainty.  Beyond my monthly writings for Comics Buyer’s Guide,
I have no contracted paying work lined up for 2012.  I’ve been in
that situation before and something usually turns up, but it does
make for some stress.

My son Eddie graduates from The Ohio State University this spring
and I’m hoping he can find a good job quickly.  As much as I would
love for that job to allow him to live with us in Medina, that has
to be considered a long shot.

The country I love - that would be the United States for the smart-
ass right wingnuts in the audience - is facing national elections.
I’m hoping my fellow Americans will turn their backs on the GOP and
the Tea Party and choose a more humane and sensible path for this
nation.  If they don’t, this country will become even more mean of
spirit than it has.

On the bright side, I’m still here, I’m still kicking and I’m still
ready and able to write things I care about, to speak truth to my
readers, and to lend whatever meager assistance I can to people and
causes worth helping.  I’m good.

Looking ahead to 2012...

I have a handful of comics projects I hope to complete in January
and February.  Hopefully, one or two of them will make me a couple
bucks.  I would definitely be interested in other projects if the
conditions are acceptable.

I hope to attend a number of comics conventions in the coming year.
Promoters can contact me at: tonyisa@ohio.net

If no paying work comes my way, you can expect to see me become an
active seller on eBay.  I’ll try to alert you to these auctions in
ways that won’t turn this blog into one big advertisement.  That’s
not what either of us is here for.

There will be more Isabella garage sales starting as soon in 2012 as
Ohio’s mercurial weather will allow.  I’ll announce them here and
on my message board and on Facebook.

That’s all I have for you today.  Thanks for stopping by.  I’ll be
taking some time off for the holidays, but you can expect my next
bloggy thing on Monday, December 26.

© 2011 Tony Isabella

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to one of the nicest guys in comics. You'll always have a special place in my heart for your kindness, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffrey H. WassermanDecember 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM

    I know what you mean. I don't even feel 39.

    Happy birthday!

    -Jeffrey H. Wasserman

    ReplyDelete
  3. The late, great Isaac Asimov used to say, "You're only as old as you feel, and I feel as skillfully as ever!" Stay skillful, my friend!

    Happy birthday, Tony! Many, many more, and always stay ten years ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Tony! Thanks for the pleasure of your writing, sir. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We disagree on politics, but Happy Birthday to you! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Tony! Hope you find the job your looking for! Good luck to your son on graduation.
    The auctions on E Bay will help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great birthday Tony! I will soon be joining you at being the great age of 60 in just a few years.

    Todd Wilson
    profhaley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! My other half turned 65 this past year - just remember, the older you get the more people start using words like "grumpy" and "curmudgeon" instead of the equivalents they would use on a 40 year old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, sir! Perhaps this year you received that long-sought after last name that you and Peter David need? Thanks for all the fun over the years, hope to read much, much more. (Yesterday was my 48th... December birthdays suck!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Thanks for your part in my favorite comic book era/company ('70s Marvel), the even better writing you've done since then, and continuing to entertain and otherwise engage my interest on a regular basis in your Bloggy Thing and your message board (even if I rarely delurk to say anything). Oh, and thanks for continuing to fight for reasonableness in an unreasonable world. Praise Godzilla!

    Alaric Shapli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday also from old Italy, dear Tony! :)

    Can I ask you something about australian Phantom comics, Tony? Do you continue to buy them (and where, if can I ask)? I have seen that some sellers (and comics publishers too) have disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barry...I get them from Comics Oz:

    http://www.comicsoz.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the good wishes, my friends!

    ReplyDelete