Monday, November 3, 2014

THE AKRON COMICON (November 8-9)

The Akron Comicon is my third convention in as many weekends. The event is expanding to two days in this third year of its operation. The convention is on Saturday and Sunday, November 8 and 9 at the University of Akron’s Quaker Station, 135 S. Broadway in Akron, Ohio. The promoters have said they are aiming for their show to be the new Mid-Ohio-Con and I believe they have been making excellent progress towards reaching that loft goal.

The show hours are:

Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm
Sunday: 11 am to 5 pm

Their guest list is sensational and includes: Darryl Banks, Mike W. Barr, Tom Batiuk, Allen Bellman, Craig Boldman, George Broderick Jr., Gerry Conway, Jose Delbo, Ron Frenz, Daniel Gorman, Mike Gustovich, Dirk Manning, Graham Nolan, Brad Ricca, Joe Rubenstein, Mike Sangiacomo, Thomas Scioli, Chris Sprouse, Joe Staton, Paul Storrie, Marc Sumerak, Chris Yambar, Thom Zahler and others. There will be panels and a costume contest over the weekend.

I’ll be appearing on a Marvel Comics panel scheduled for Sunday at 2 pm.   Also on the panel: Allen Bellman, Gerry Conway, Ron Frenz and Josef Rubenstein.

My table set-up will be somewhat more modest than I hoped because of the major plumbing issues we’ve been dealing with at my house. Our front lawn and part of our downstairs living room, which sits on a slab, will be torn up this week. That said...I’ll be selling my award-deserving 1000 Comic Books You Must Read, those two-sided Superman posters created for 1988’s International Superman Expo and at least one box of older comic books.

As always, I’m happy to sign Isabella-written items free of charge. I’ll sign other items on a case-by-case basis, continuing my policy of not signing comics or other things whose existence represents DC Comics violations of their agreements with me.

I’m also happy to participate in podcasts and speak with publishers and artists who want to work with me. In the new year, I’m going to be implementing some changes vis-a-vis the kind of work I accept. I’ll have more to say about this in a near-future blog.

The blog? It should return to nigh-daily posting later this month, though some features may not return until 2015. I’m doing my best to clear the desk for new opportunities and projects. I have taken many hits this year, but I’m not down for the count by a long shot. Keep watching this bloggy thing.

I hope to see you at the Akron Comicon.

© 2014 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment