Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I WILL DISAPPOINT SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME

Readers of my Facebook page and my Twitter account know that I have taken to posting an item a day from “my other bucket list.” This is not the same as “my bucket list of things I want to write before I kick the bucket.” It is a list of other life goals, silliness and wisdom. If you haven’t been reading them, you won’t miss anything. Near the start of every month, I’ll do a bloggy thing of all those items from the previous month, sometimes with a little more content added to some items.

This is what I posted on Monday:

Accept that I will disappoint some people. Strive to disappoint as few people as possible.

There are things I have promised fans and friends and readers and would-be colleagues that I have failed to deliver on. Without even remotely excusing my fault in this, these failures come from having to concentrate on my personal and professional obligations first, on over-committing myself and on the unfortunate ups-and-downs of my lifelong battle with depression.

Aside. If they gave out 30-day chips and 60-day chips and etc-day chips for overcoming depression, I would get them all because I am just that obsessive.

This brings me to a statement that will disappoint those of you who have requested interviews with me for magazines or online venues. There’s no way to soft-pedal this.

I WILL NOT BE GIVING ANY INTERVIEWS FOR THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE.  Even those I have previously committed to.

There are three reasons for my decision. The first is that the vast majority of requests are from people who want to talk about Black Lightning. DC Comics/Entertainment and I are talking. Their lawyer and my lawyer are talking. I remain guardedly optimistic that these talks will go well and that DC and I will be issuing some sort of joint statement in the hopefully near future. In the meantime, I prefer to say as little as possible.

The second reason is that I have undergone extensive dental surgery and will be undergoing more dental treatment over the next several months. That’s why I also cancelled my appearances at all but one convention - The Akron Comic-Con - for the remainder of this year. While I came through the initial surgery remarkable well, there is the possibility that other treatments will slow me down more than this one did. I’ll be at the Akron convention if they have to wheel me into the place ala Hannibal Lecter, but I had to cancel on all the others. I will make it up to those events in 2016.

The third reason is that I have several personal and professional commitments I do not want to fall behind on. I’m already terribly behind in sending out the orders from my last Vast Accumulation of Stuff sale. I don’t want to fall behind on anything else.

That’s my short and not very sweet bloggy thing for today. I’ll be back tomorrow with a review of a terrific movie that I suspect many of you have never heard of.

© 2015 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment