Friday, February 10, 2017

PENSACON PRELUDE 2017

Pensacon (Pensacola Comic Con) is my first convention appearance of the year. This is my second visit to Pensacon. I was a guest last year and loved the event so much I devoted six bloggy things to it. You can find the first column here and the others here, here, here, here and here.

Held mostly at the Pensacola Bay Center, Pensacon starts on Friday afternoon, February 17 at 1 p.m. and will continues through Sunday, February 19, ending at 6 p.m.. I will be there all three days and, even better, Sainted Wife Barb will be attending the show with me. This is a rare opportunity for you to meet the most forgiving woman in the universe.

During the weekend, some Pensacon programs will be at the Pensacola Grand Hotel, the Rex Theatre, the Pensacola Little Theatre and the Saenger Theatre. Pensacon is just too big to fit in one convention center. There will be lots to see and do all three days.

Pensacon has put together a great guest roster. Some of the guests I’m looking forward to seeing are: Henry Winkler, Guy Gilchrist, John Dell, Bob Camp, Barry Gregory, Mike Grell, Doug Sneyd, Matt Frank, Steve Scott, Dave Dorman, Mark Maddox, Kelly Yates, Gates McFadden, Neal Adams, Ricou Browning, Simon Bisley, John Wesley Shipp, Rodney Ramos, RenĂ© Auberjonois, Terry Farrell, Ted Raimi, Pat Broderick, Steven Williams, Mitch Pileggi, James Marsters, Bob Bergen, Jose Delbo and the amazing Scott Shaw! That list is nowhere near complete, but who just wants to read a list of names?

Sidebar. I’m hoping to interview some of the above for the bloggy thing. That depends on whether I can sweet-talk them into sitting down with me and whether I can buy and master a suitable recording device. I’m looking to do some different kinds of bloggy thing in this new and challenging year.

Pensacon will have a large exhibitors area, a large artists alley, cosplay, gaming, Sci-Fi speed dating, celebrity photo ops, movies, after hours activities and panels, panels, panels.
                              
For Tony Isabella fans and friends...

I’ll be spending a good chunk of each day at my artists alley table on the third floor of the Pensacola Bay Center. I’ll be bringing as many copies of Black Lightning Volume One as Barb and I can fit in our suitcases without making them too heavy.

As is my policy with conventions that provide support for my guest appearance, I will not be charging for autographs or photographs. However, I take no responsibilities for cameras and other devices shattering when you take my photo.

There is no limit to the number of Isabella-written items I’ll sign for you. However, if you have a large number of items and there’s a line - there usually isn’t - I’ll sign a few and then ask to go the end of line so that those with fewer items can get their items signed and get on to the business of enjoying all the other wonders of Pensacon.

I am currently scheduled to appear on four panels during the con. They are...

CLASSIC MOVIE MONSTERS
Friday, Feb 17th, 4:00-4:45 pm
Grand Hotel 1st Floor Room B
Meet the experts on all things monster as they discuss classic movies that feature some of the most famous monsters of filmland. Tony Isabella, artist Mark Maddox, writer David J. Skal, Anthony Taylor

DIVERSITY IN COMICS
Saturday, Feb 18th, 11:00-11:45 am
Saenger Theatre 2nd Floor Room B
Comic books are no longer just white guys in tights. Join these comic creators as they discuss how diversity has shown itself both on the page and behind the drawing board. Jen Broomall, Elliott Fernandez, Tony Isabella, NEN, Rodney Ramos, Jeremy Whitley

HOW TO MAKE A TRULY TERRIBLE COMIC: COMMON STORYTELLING MISTAKES AND HOW TO AVOID THEM
Sunday,  Feb 19th, 12:15-1:00 pm
Saenger Theatre 2nd Floor Room A
Pat Broderick, Jose Delbo, Barry Gregory, Tony Isabella, Jeremy Whitley

THE STARVING ARTIST: MYTHS AND REALITIES OF THE PROFESSION
Sunday, Feb 19th, 1:30-2:15 pm
Saenger Theatre 2nd Floor Room A
Everyone knows the myth of the "starving artist". However, working artists get paid and actually do not have to starve. These professionals will discuss what the industry is really like and what to expect when pursuing a career in art. John Dell, Derec Donovan, Tony Isabella, Roland Paris, Steve Scott

Those are my scheduled panels. However, last year, I was invited to be on a few other panels as well. As much as possible, if and when this happens, I’ll have some sort of makeshift sign at my artists alley table to let you know what additional panels I’ll be on and when and where they will be taking place.

When I’m at my artists alley table, I’ll do my best to answer your questions about my 45 years in the comics industry and pretty much anything I’ve written or written about. Please understand that, due to non-disclosure agreements, there will be some questions I can’t answer for you.

If you’d like to interview me or have me appear on your podcast, I will do my best to accommodate you. This works best if you contact me beforehand via email.

When I’m not at my artists alley table or on a panel, I’ll be out and about enjoying the convention like the rest of you. It’s always tough to get around and talk to all the guests I would like to talk to, but I’m going to give it my best shot.

If you are cosplaying as a character I created or wrote, I would be thrilled to have you come to my table and pose with you. Cosplay is one of the things I love best about conventions.

Please do not be shy about approaching me. I rarely bite, I think I’m a pretty decent fellow and, if I can make your Pensacon even a little more enjoyable, I’d love to do that.

If you’re going to be in the Pensacola area and are on the fence as to whether or not you’re attending Pensacon, I urge you to come to the convention. It’s one of the finest such events in the country and I know you’ll have a great time!

I’m very excited about returning to Pensacon, one of the best and best-run conventions ever. I’m even more excited that I’ll be able to share it with Sainted Wife Barb.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2017 Tony Isabella


No comments:

Post a Comment